Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Still On the Eve of Revolution

Of course, of course of course of course of course. When am I writing this? Yes yes...we have all heard the announcement that Barack Obama will be the 44th President of the United States. Are you really that surprised? I mean, I know the media often throws the whole martyr game in our face and tells us Republicans (like me) still control this country but COME ON. Cut the bullshit and you see that this result was a virtual inevitability. However, to be honest, this inevitability is one that I am happy with at the moment, and it is one for which I did in fact vote.

And yet I wait with bated breath, as I would have had I voted for McCain (if you hadn't already got the fact that I voted for Obama, you're as stupid as a...a...well you're just stupid). For at this time in our country, at THIS particular time in our tormented, short history, we are in crisis, as you are all aware. And whoever our next President was going to be, I would have judged him by his result, and not by his victory tonight.

You see, Obama is like 4th and 1 (yes a football reference; keep up, YES YOU CAN...oh and an Obama reference in the same parenthetical phrase; some said it couldn't be done...). Of course, if you get the first down, you are considered a wise coach in tune with your team's strength and ability. If you fail, and turn over on downs, you are considered an idiot making a rash, liberal (ooooh pun) decision. And maybe this is how we should judge all of our public leaders. Sure, I held judgment on President Bush until these last couple of years, and after all I had seen, after all the objectivity I could muster, I cannot honestly say he was a good President at all. Nevertheless, I still respect him as the President, a position I think many people do not take in this day of criticism and undeserved sense of accomplishment.

To be frank (Caliendo), I truly believe that Barack Obama the PERSON is what we need in this country. Do I agree with his proposed economic policies? Perhaps not. Do I agree with his proposed health care system? Definitely not. But do I think he is the person that this country needs at this point in time? I answer this one with a resounding yes. This country does not need a set of policies and agendas that, for the most part, will never get through legislature. What this country needs is an idea, an idea of optimism and hope; and I believe Barack Obama is that idea.

Now, you didn't think I was going to leave without saying SOMETHING about the fact that he will be the first African-American President? I tell you, THIS is the true gift, the true benefit of this election. I was moved by watching the other African-American people cry, tears streaming down their face. And while you (yes I believe almost all people who read this are white...sad, but true) sit there and ask why people are crying, rejoicing, rioting for this moment, are you truly that surprised? Think of how long we as a country have NOT been able to put this behind us. Think of how long people, HUMAN BEINGS, have had to fight to be treated like other, HUMAN BEINGS. Now, of course, this does not end the issue; far from it. But it may be the largest step this country has taken in 50 years toward the total and unarguable right direction.

Yet, I still have learned in this campaign that regardless of the historic spectacle, politics will always be politics. Each candidate, to put it in Sarah Marshall's words, just spewed "bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit" (with the appropriate hand motions) over and over and over. Whenever a hint of specifity on the issues came around, both candidates quickly shifted to their general ideas of "cut taxes, change things," as EVERY OTHER politician does over and over. And don't kid yourselves into thinking I'm wrong, because deep down you know it's true. Even the issues you think you know about you actually have only scratched the surface of their content, myself included!

Be that as it may, sans the bullshit, tonight is without a doubt a magnificent progression in the character of the United States of America. As my title suggests, we are perhaps on the eve of a revolution, as I will hold total judgment until I see pure results. But we have, as a nation, undoubtedly EVOLVED from our grim past. But, as is the case in nature, evolution never rests, and we can never rest. And that is the true message that Obama brings, and the one for which I voted.

However, I would still do the SHIT out of Sarah Palin...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home